Sonya Apple, Sage & Chicken Pita Pockets
A quick, healthy, yet delicious lunch that is easy enough to make for weekday lunches and special enough to serve to guests!
- 2 Sonya Apple (rinsed, dried and diced – leave peel on apples)
- The juice from half of a lemon
- 4 green onions (chopped)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast (we use a store roasted chicken)
- 4-6 fresh sage leaves (chopped)
- 1 Three inch branch of fresh rosemary leaves (chopped)
- 1/3-cup light mayonnaise
- Fresh pepper to taste
- 3 whole-wheat pita breads (cut into halves)
Place diced apples in a large size bowl and squeeze lemon on apples. Toss to coat apples with juice. Add onions, bell pepper, celery, chicken, sage leaves, rosemary, mayonnaise, and garlic salt and pepper to apples. Mix with large spoon until salad is well combined. Toast pita bread halves in toaster until warm and lightly toasted. Evenly divide chicken apple salad between the six pita pockets. Serve immediately and wrap any left over sandwiches in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator. Chicken / Apple salad may also be stored in airtight container in refrigerator and served on a lettuce or cabbage leaf instead of pita or bread.
Makes 6 Pitas